I want the feds to implement the following national reciprocity law:
- Carry permits will cover concealed or open carry of handguns.
- Carry permits will be shall issue with no "good reason" requirement.
- Carry permits applications, background check, and training fees will be paid for by the federal government. (*If this is truly national issue, and affects the safety and health of everyone, it is incumbent on everyone to pay into making the system work, not just those who choose to exercise their rights.)
- Carry permits shall be optional in Constitutional Carry states.
- Carry permits shall entitle the holder to purchase a firearm in any state, regardless of his or her state of residence.
- Carry permit records shall only list the name and identifying information of the holder, and are explicitly forbidden from listing any firearms owned and intended to be carried by the holder.
- Carry permits shall be renewable every five years, at no cost.
- This law will be explicitly cite and be enforced by the supremacy clause and the 2nd and 14th amendments.
- This law will come into effect immediately when passed by Congress and signed into law by the President.
- The sale of a firearm by a private individual to another private individual (private party transfer) shall require that the buyer:
- undergo a background check at a licensed dealer, or
- has on his person an unexpired Carry license.
- This law will come into effect 5 years after National Reciprocity has been implemented.
If there were a broad national reciprocity law that made it very easy for the law abiding to get their permits, and they were given time to get them, then this would minimize the impact on the law abiding, giving us something we want, and you something you want.